Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Practice makes perfect...or at least better


Yesterday I went on a training ride. Seeing as how I embark on this adventure in less than two weeks, I figure it is probably time to start doing some longer rides. I am the perfect example of how NOT to plan for a cross country trip. Usually, one would plan for months in advance and their training would have included several long 70 plus mile rides by this point. I however, committed to doing this only three weeks prior to the departure date.

Anyways, back to the topic. I went on a 50 mile training ride. It went pretty well, considering I got to listen to Otis Taylor playing banjo for about an hour and a half, and then a little soulful John Legend to finish the ride. I will need to get my Bob single wheel biketrailer, whether purchased or borrowed, sooner than later. Then I can train with a similar weight load to the actual trip.

I talked with Jacques, my biking partner, to discuss some of the trip details. We're both very excited and a little scared of what we got ourselves into. That said, we know that this is much bigger than ourselves. We have people rooting us on. We are supporting kids and communities we believe in. We are not doing this alone.

Although not finalized, please check out the website for our trip: www.irideyougivetheylive.org

Departure: 13 days

Here's a picture of one of the kids I worked with at Beautiful Gate.

No comments: