Thursday, September 30, 2010

Day 3:310 to Yuma







Day 3: Tuesday, Sept. 28.

We got up this morning to try to find a bike shop somewhere in El Centro. We asked a couple of guys rolling on some kind of illicit drug where the nearest bike shop was. Those kind of dudes just have a knack for knowing where bike shops are. Luckily, I also think there is only one bike shop in El Centro.

Anyways we found a shop not too far from our motel. We waited outside while the owner opened shop. As soon as we went in, the owner started telling me how I have a racing bike and that I needed a touring bike for this trip. I kindly replied that I was an unemployed law graduate, and then he changed his sales pitch. After some discussion about whether to purchase a touring type rear wheel, which would have been overnighted to El Centro (and thus another night in the motel), or to just get the spoke replaced and hope for good fortune in the desert, I opted for the latter. I might try t get a spare axle in Tuscon though.

We got my bike all set up, and then Jacques and I headed to one of those places only God could create: Costco. I love Costco. I love the cash back rewards. I love buying in bulk. Especially cookies. I'm going to have a large family just so I can shop frequently at Costco for good reason. While at Costco's food court, I talked with a friendly lady who has survived breast cancer three times. Meeting people like her make me feel really fortunate for my health and the ability to even attempt a cross country ride.

The clouds moved into El Centro and provided some welcome cover from the blistering heat. We jumped on the opportunity, and headed East towards Yuma. The distance to Yuma: 60 miles.

After about 6.5 hours of pedaling, three of which were in the dark, we arrived in Yuma. We have an amazing host here; she just helped us carbo load with pasta and bread. So yummy. That's right, I said yummy and I'm 26 years old.

Tomorrow we head to somewhere in the middle of nowhere. It's actually somewhere, just not where you would normally make a destination. Perhaps we'll end in Dateland. Sounds like a place that e-harmony made up. I hearby copyright that idea in the event e-harmony or another dating service tries to steal it. It's late, and I'm loopy. Goodnight.

p.s. shoutout to Dierdre for the picture text!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Keep chuggin' along boys! Have you run into any weather?

*It's D"ei"rdre

Unknown said...

It was our extreme pleasure to host you in Gila Bend. We wish you Godspeed and cooler temperatures. And yes, we still thing you're crazy!