Sunday, September 12, 2010

Foreshadowing?

Yesterday, I set out on what I thought would be a good 70 mile practice ride. I have never ridden 70 miles in a day, so I had no idea what to expect...and I still don't.

I got about a mile away from my house when I realized that my bike computer's battery was kaput. I need this computer because it tells me how fast I'm going, how far I've gone, and how cool I am. Luckily there is a bike shop about one mile from my house, so I stopped in for a quick pit stop. I purchased the battery and thought I was good to go. After taking about four steps from the door, I realized that now my computer was giving me data in kilometers and not miles. Apparently my computer was confused that this trip would take me into Canada. I assure all of you out there, especially my mom, that this is an entirely domestic trip (San Diego to Jacksonville). The bike mechanic quickly figured out the problem and I was good to go. At least that's what I thought.

3 miles after departing the bike shop, in my skin tight spandex, showing off my marvelous figure (read with sarcasm), going a good clip, I hear a "POP". A "POP" might be a biker's worst nightmare. I imagine that I will have nightmares about 3 weeks into the ride where all I hear is "POP" after "POP". Then I'll wake up crying.

So I walk in my uncomfortable biking shoes, slowing grinding the metal clips from the contact with the pavement, back to the bike shop. I admit to the bike mechanic that I am ill-prepared for a 70 mile ride, nonetheless a 2400 miles one. I imagined him saying to himself, "this kid is NUTS!" I politely ask him to show me how to properly change a tire, noting any tips or secrets held deeply by the bike mechanics guild. He obliged and then wisely recommended I carry a spare with me on today's journey. (He also loaded me up with an extra chain, tire, and multi-tool device).

Now, I was ready for the road. Note that this was about 2 hours after I had left my house. Also note, by not telling my roommate's what happened, I appear to be the hardest core biker that has ever lived...after Lance.

I decided to head southwest on the Platte River Trail. Again, I was feeling good and making good time. However after 13 miles, I heard that unnerving "POP" yet again. Although I was a little saddened by the fact that I needed to change my tube again, I felt like a hero knowing that I had a spare in my pocket. Even better was the feeling that I knew all the secrets to properly change the tube. I successfully changed the tube in about 10 minutes, used my C02 to inflate the tube, and got ready to head on my journey.

Guess what happened next. "Pop". Immediately followed by more cursing than I'd like to admit. My actual tire had a gaping hole in it causing the inner tube to pop suddenly. Unfortunately I did not have another spare tube, so I walked about two miles to the nearest light rail station.

Lesson learned: the only thing more embarrassing than riding a bike in spandex, is walking in them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh brad. so sorry, but thanks for a good laugh! I am praying that the dreaded "POP" will not accompany you on your cross-country trek.

Matt Jensen said...

The only thing more impressive than the anticipated size of your quads - post ride - is your ability to communicate humour. Nicely done.