Monday, October 11, 2010

Throwin' down the benjamins



El Paso, TX to Van horn, TX...about 135 miles. Saturday, Oct 9

We woke up early to get a good start out of El Paso. To me, 4:30am is early. Surprisingly, we made it out of El Paso in good time. The frontage road was rock solid, providing us some fast surface to roll on. As we entered I-10, frequent rumble strips spanning the shoulder made for an interesting ride. However, soon enough the strips ended and we again were averaging 18-20mph. The first 80 miles flew by. Jacques and I knew something would slow us down; something always happens to slow us down. Today was no different because an approximately 20 mile climb made for a much slower pace.

We stopped in Sierra Blanc (spelling error?) for a quick bite to eat. We had originally planned to stay in Sierre Blanc, but after scoping out the town and not finding a decent place to camp, we decided to hop back on the highway for a 32 mile journey to Van Horn, a slightly larger city.

Much of the ride to Van Horn was rolling hills, but the last six miles were downhill. I love finishing on a down hill. Jacques also thought it would be funny to let out some gas. Sometimes on the open road we encounter foul smells, usually a landfill or farm, so I rolled up to Jacques to see if he knew where the smell came from. I instantly knew he was the culprit after seeing the biggest grin on his face. Jacques, I will repay you soon my friend.

We road further into town and stopped at about five hotels to ask if they would like to donate a room to I Ride You Give They Live. We lucked out the sixth time.

King’s Inn in Van Horn, TX provided us with a free room! Thanks!

We are pretty tired, but in good spirits. Jacques and I continually discuss how lucky we are to have this opportunity to ride for Beautiful Gate.

Tomorrow is a new journey. May it be a good one.

No comments: