Thursday, October 7, 2010

Day 12: Follow the 64yr old


Day 12: Oct. 7. Demming, NM to Las Cruces, NM.

John is 64 years old. I don't think he will mind me telling you that. John also rides his bike three times a week and could school me on any time trial. This guy is FIT!

John's wife Barb took our disobedient trailer, Bob, as well as our other belongings, to their house last night. What does that mean? Freedom. In other words, we got to ride for 75 miles today without the trailer and gear weighing us down. And boy, does that make a difference. John joined us on the ride, and provided some great tips.

John showed us the way to increase your speed and efficiency by riding in a pack. I have biked before in groups, but we didn't work together like you ought to. John taught us how to "pull." Pulling is where there is one person in the front "pulling" while the other riders ride behind, drafting. The riders behind can pedal quite a bit easier while drafting. The lead rider pulls for about 5 minutes, and then a new leader takes their turn pulling. Therefore, everyone takes their turn doing the harder work in the lead and also gets to relax and draft.

The ride to Las Cruces was filled with spectacular views, as Las Cruces is just below some mountains.

We made really good time, stopped at The Bean coffee shop, and headed towards John's house. John's wife and daughter were home getting pizza ready for dinner. Jacques, John, and I headed towards a local bike shop for a couple of things. Over the course of the ride, my shoes have slowly disintegrated, and the angle of my shoes on the pedals looked "painful" according to John. Therefore John made a donation of some of his older clipless pedals and even donated some shoes to our cause. Thanks John and Barb for your amazing hospitality and support!

We came home to the smell of homemade Pizza, and were soon joined by John and Barb's son, son in law, grandsons, and family friends. Quite the party!

We spent the remaining ours of the night installing my new pedals, truing my rear wheel, and fixing some tubes that had flats.

Tomorrow: the nation of Texas!!!

p.s. Far less grasshoppers making love today on the roads. I know you were curious.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Good Luck in Texas.... You are a better man than I'll ever be.. mostly because I'm a woman! What I really want to know is... Does your bum hurt yet?
It's crazy how far you've already ridden! You are AWESOME!

Kæv said...

(Have you watched Tour de France? They have their own riders who pull!! :P Even I knew that..!)

Well, any way, seems like you`re having a good time, and its great to read about your journey!
Stay blessed
Kavi