Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Day 16: Roadkill Cafe



Oct. 12 Ozona, TX to Junction, TX: about 94 miles

Today can be summed up in the following way: flat tires and road kill.

I awoke to two flat tires in our hotel room. Bummer. But I quickly changed them, and after having a stellar breakfast (which included some very scrumptious cinnamon rolls) we headed East.

A couple miles into the ride, Jacques also got a flat. He invested the time to repair the tube, as it was a special one with sealant inside, only to have the same tube go flat less than a mile down the road. He tossed the tube, added another, and then we again headed towards Junction.

Jacques and I noticed a lot of road kill today. Congrats Texas for having the most road kill on your highways out of any state we have been in thus far. This may say something about the people and/or the animals here. You decide.

A little after lunch, I got my third flat of the day. Unfortunately, Jacques was a quite a bit further down the road and also had the remaining CO2 cartridges and pump. When my phone wouldn't work, I became a little peeved, but it finally worked so I could call Jacques, the knight in shining bike attire to save the day.

We finally made it to Junction and guess what?

We got a free room from Rodeside Inn!!! Thanks so much!

Tomorrow, we head to Boerne, just northwest of San Antonio where we have a host family set up. I'm excited for a long break there. Enough of this biking stuff for a couple of days.

No comments: