Tuesday, October 26, 2010

"I press the clutch with my fake leg."

Tuesday, October 26: New Orleans, LA to Gulf Port, MS





Mississippi! We made it!

Today, we had a great ride. We left NOLA this morning. The wind was at our back as we took I-90 through some swamp land. Obviously, if I can't be traveling downhill, I prefer a tail wind on flat ground.

We stopped for a brewsky at Crazy Joe's somewhere before we passed into Mississippi. As we left, a guy talked to me about our ride, and said he probably would ride too if it weren't for his artificial leg. A little down the road, the same guy came up next to me in a Miata and started telling me how he drove a stick shift and used his fake leg to push the clutch. This has been a question I've asked myself every morning for the last several years, and I'm glad to have finally found the answer.

After a couple of small bridges, I looked up and saw that the highway sign changed. The background no longer was the shape of Louisiana. Mississippi fail. It's always a good idea to put a "Welcome to ______" over the river that creates your state's border. Don't be fooled by the Welcome to Mississippi pictures because that sign was a good two miles after the actual border.

We crossed an amazing bridge just past Bay St. Louis and the remainder of the ride was along the Gulf Coast. One couldn't ask for a more scenic ride along the beach. Amazing. When I listen to music during the ride, I have to remind myself that this is not the soundtrack to my own movie.

Ryan hosted us tonight. He made some really tender chicken and veggies; one of the healthier and better meals we've had on the trip. His dog is a riot- a pug that chases his own shadow. Thanks Ryan for good conversation and a nice bed to sleep in.

Tomorrow: Mobile, Alabama.

1 comment:

Faye said...

OMG a pug!!! I bet it wasn't as cute as mine though (Norman).