Monday, November 1, 2010

Second to Last Day...yes way!


Monday, November 1: Tallahassee to Lake City- about 105 miles

We got an early start knowing that it would be at least a 100 mile ride.

Here’s the summary of a conversation I had with a very kind, sweet, and voluptuous Burger King employee this morning at 6am as I ordered breakfast:

Big Beautiful Burger Queen: “Welcome to Burger King.”
Jacques: “Hey, howzit mate? We’d like some breakfast. We have a long day of riding ahead.”
BBBQ: “Oh really? Where are you riding?”
Jacques”Jacksonville. We’re doing a fundraising bicycle ride for a South African Orphanage. I can’t wait to see my wife.”
BBBQ:”Oh really? You both married?”
Jacques points at me. “He’s not.”
BBBQ looks me up and down like a large hash brown drenched in ketchup. “I want somebody to take me to Africa.”
Me. “Anything you want baby doll.”

(based on a true story)

About 20 miles into the ride, I realized my stomach wasn’t cooperating with me. I had set a goal to stop in Monticello and take a break. Finally, after hearing my stomach growl for 10 miles, I pulled into Monticello. I’m proud to say that I had my first fall of the trip. I didn’t clip out of my pedals quite soon enough, and splat on the ground I went. I was a little embarrassed because four older men saw everything.

On another note, I think I saw a glimpse of what hell could be like. It goes something like this: You have to go to the bathroom very badly. Seriously badly. Badly badly. You have to hold it for some reason, say because you’re traveling on a two wheeled vehicle. And when you get to a stopping point, where you could solve the problem, you get stuck talking to four very kind old men. You don’t have the heart to interrupt them from repeating themselves because let’s face it, they’re pretty darn cool. But you have this lingering thought, is this going to be the day that I poop my pants in front of four grown men?

(based on a true story)


If this is your first time to this blog, I assure you my other posts stray away topics such as the one above.

Going back, I should say that in Monticello we also made this sweet old man who showed us photos of his triathlete daughter. He also bought us us some coffee. He’s lived in Monticello for over 80 years. That’s commitment.

Alas, we made it to Lake City. Our hosts Jeff and Sherry cooked us some amazing chili! Tomorrow, we’re going to Jeff’s work at a radio station to promote irideyougivethey.org. We’re trying to give voters a break from the day’s festivities.

Tomorrow: our final destination, Jacksonville Beach!

thanks for your support!!!

2 comments:

The Beautiful Gate Team said...

Hi guys. ENJOY the last day! Lots of love and good wishes from Beautiful Gate!

Unknown said...

As the old saying goes-are we there yet? We are so proud of your endeavors! Love M&D